Braised Fennel, Brocolini & Tofu
Fennel, ginger, and yogurt sauce give this a juicy and flavorful recipe you'll enjoy over and over again!
- 2 TBSP plain yogurt
- 2 TBSP plus 1/4 Cup of water
- 1/2 cup sucanant or raw sugar
- 2 TBSP ghee or sunflower oil
- 2 TSP grated fresh ginger
- 1 TSP fennel seeds
- 1 TSP ground coriander
- 1/2 TSP turmeric
- 1 Fennel bulb, cut into small chunks
- 1 Cup tofu cubes or organic chicken breast
- 1/4 Cup veggie stock (optional)
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- 1 head of bok choy, broccolini, kale, or collard greens - I personally love this with broccolini.
If using chicken:
If you're making chicken instead of tofu, boil chicken breast in water with 1 TSP peppercorns, bay leaf, 1 chopped up carrot and any other left over raw veggies you have. Once cooked, slice into desired size.
1. In a small bowl, stir together yogurt, 2 TBSP water and sugar. Set aside.
2. Melt the ghee in a large sauté pan over medium-low heat. Add the fennel seeds, coriander, and turmeric and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Add the chopped fennel and sauté and additional 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the tofu or chicken, remaining water or veggie stock, and lemon juice. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer, cover the pan and cook for 10 minutes. Add the greens (bok choy, kale, broccolini). Cover the pan and cook until the fennel and greens are tender-crisp, about 5 minutes more.
4. Stir in the reserved yogurt mixture. Simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thoroughly heated through, about 5 minutes.
Serve & enjoy!