Breakfast is an important opportunity to set the tone of our day and nourish our senses and tissues, yet we usually don’t make time, or choose easy and quick over simple and healthy. Try an option that's easy, quick AND healthy!
Cereal with milk, granola, breakfast bars and smoothies are easy, but don’t support our body’s digestive processes. These provide qualities of dry, light, and cold to our digestion. We can choose to support our body's own processes with warm, soothing and slightly spicy options. This helps wake our bellies, encourage digestion to be ready to work all day, and ground us for what’s ahead. In turn we lose weight, feel better and have more mental and physical stamina.
Check out my go-to favorite for 1, depending on your haldful size!
20 minutes or less if you have an electric kettle
Ingredients (note - below is based on 1 serving)
• half a handful white basmati rice, rinsed
• 6 raw almonds
• 1.5 cup water
• 3 finger pinch of salt
• 3 finger pinch of cardamom
• 2 finger pinch cinnamon
• 2 saffron threads (optional to boost ojas)
• pinch coconut flakes or grated ginger (optional for Summer & Winter respectively)
• 1 tbsp ghee
• Blend rice, then blend almonds.
• Melt ghee in warm sauce pan or small soup pot.
• Add the spices, rice, almonds, coconut flakes, salt, and water.
• Crush saffron threads in palm with a small pinch of salt, and add to mixture.
• Bring to a boil for 1 minute, then reduce the heat to medium-low and continue cooking uncovered until done, about 5 minutes.
• Add water or milk to desired consistency.
Serve with maple syrup in a soothing environment to give full focus to digestions and enjoying the savory, sweet, salty tastes. Wait 3 minutes before leaving the table to allow the last bite to make its way to your belly. Then enjoy your daily duties with more delight!